Should You Sleep With Your Engagement Ring On?
When you put that engagement ring on for the first time, you might feel like you never want to take it off. Like any piece of jewelry, though, an engagement ring should be treated with care, and there are times when you'll need to remove it to make sure it stays in good condition.
So the short answer is: no, you shouldn't wear your engagement ring to sleep.
There are many ways your ring could be damaged while you're asleep:
- It could get caught on something, like your clothes or the blankets.
- You could hit it against something as you're getting in and out of bed, or heading to the bathroom or kitchen in the middle of the night, when you're tired and not paying attention.
- Certain types of stones are more fragile than others. If your ring has something other than a diamond in it, you might need to treat it more delicately. In fact, even a diamond ring can get scratched.
- Last, putting pressure on the band (such as by rolling over or pinning it under your body as you sleep) can cause it to bend or otherwise damage its shape.
Benefits of Removing Your Ring at Night
Along with ensuring that you don't damage your ring in your sleep, taking it off at night has other benefits.
- You won't have to worry about scratching yourself with it.
- You can get into the habit of automatically placing it somewhere safe, like a ring holder or jewelry box, whenever you're not wearing it. This practice will come in handy when you need to take it off at other times.
- Removing it regularly can help you pay attention to the fit and any signs that your engagement ring is too tight.
It's okay to wear your ring to bed sometimes — don't panic if you forget you're wearing it and then realize you kept it on overnight the next morning. But you should try not to do it all the time. Your engagement ring is a meaningful piece of jewelry, and it's worth taking care of.