Gold And Diamond - Blog
America's Leading Online Jewelry Store
These days, we just take it for granted that a diamond wedding ring is an integral part of the marriage ceremony. However, few people are aware of why exactly we exchange rings when we get married, and have no idea when the custom first began.
Here’s some fascinating information into the history of the wedding ring, and the symbolism associated with it.
It’s not known exactly when wedding rings first came into use, though history tells us that the Romans were swapping rings as a sign of their betrothal, thousands of years ago. Initially, their rings were made of iron or other base metals; however, as tastes got more extravagant, these rings started to be created from gold.
It’s thought that rings were used to symbolize fidelity and loyalty; by using a hoop without a beginning or end.
Cutting Rings in Half
In England, it was once the tradition to have a piece of silver or gold instead of a ring, and snap it in half, giving the other piece to your husband or wife to be. Here in the US, thimbles were also used as a way of declaring an engagement. In fact, this custom continued until as late as the 19th century!
Where’s the Diamonds?
As far as wedding rings go, diamonds are a fairly recent addition; mainly because they were hard to come by and incredibly expensive. However, in the late 1800s, miners started to uncover diamonds in South Africa, which made these precious stones easier for people to purchase.
In fact, diamonds weren’t widely used in wedding rings until the early 1900s, which makes it a rather new tradition.
Find the Perfect Diamond Ring for Your Big Day
Whether a recent tradition or not, there’s no doubt about it, there’s something rather special about a diamond on your wedding day. If you’d like to find the ideal diamond ring to act as a sign of your love, then simply visit the Gold and Diamond Source today. You can find us online, or visit our store in Tampa Bay.
If you’re having a wedding ring specially made for you, one of the most fun aspects is deciding on the design. You’ll get to select the gemstone, work out the arrangement of the stones, and you’ll even get to pick what metal the band is made of.
However, all this choice can be a bit bewildering! Buying a wedding ring is a big investment, and you’ll want to make sure that you get it right, so that you can take pride wearing it, day after day.
Know Your Settings…
Most women have a fairly good idea of what sort of diamond they’d like in their ring. It’s also fairly usual for brides-to-be to have a good idea about their preferred choice of cut; from classic princess to vintage-inspired oval.
However, when it comes to setting, this is where people can come unstuck. Here’s a quick guide to help you.
- Simple or ornate? If you’ve got a really big diamond, you might want to let the gemstone do the talking, and keep the rest of the ring fairly simple. However, if you’re choosing a cluster of diamonds, or love the ornate vintage look, a highly detailed setting may suit you better.
- Wide or narrow? Whether you select a wider or narrow band depends somewhat on the length of your fingers. If you have shorter fingers, you may not want to choose a very wide band, as it can make your finger appear even shorter. Generally speaking, a narrow band looks more traditional, and a wider band can be more of an attention-grabbing piece.
- Additional gemstones? Obviously, a solitaire diamond needs no accompaniment. However, you may want to provide contrast to your diamond with some emeralds or rubies flanking it on either side.
Help and Guidance at the Gold and Diamond Source
If you’re confused about what setting to select for your wedding ring, don’t worry, help is at hand! Simply come down to the Gold and Diamond Source today and speak with one of our expert advisors. We’ll help you to find the perfect ring for your wedding.
There’s something really beautiful about a vintage themed wedding. The very word itself conjures up images of delicate lace dresses, rustic wedding receptions and beautiful wildflowers! However, one area that vintage-loving brides often come unstuck is the wedding jewelry.
Finding the Right Vintage Wedding Jewelry
It’s actually much harder than it looks to find authentic vintage jewelry for your wedding. So often, brides-to-be manage to locate the most amazing ring, only to find out that it’s too small for them. Or, they’ll discover a wonderful pair of vintage earrings, then realize that a diamond is missing from the setting.
In addition to this, there’s the problem of matching your jewelry pieces. You may find a wonderful diamond necklace, and then notice that it doesn’t go with your carefully sourced vintage earrings!
Combining Vintage Appeal with Modern Convenience
This is why many women choose to pick modern jewelry pieces that are inspired by vintage style. Many contemporary wedding rings and other pieces of jewelry remain so true to vintage design that it is impossible to tell the difference. And of course, the benefit is that you can get the right size ring, and match the rest of your jewelry to it.
Here’s a quick guide of what to look for in vintage-inspired pieces for your wedding:
- Detailing. Vintage jewelry, particularly rings, are often rich in detail, with elaborate diamond arrangements and intricate settings.
- Inspired by nature. You’ll often notice that nature is used for inspiration in vintage design; so it’s quite common to see floral formations and leaf-cut diamonds.
- Contrasting metals. Sometimes, you’ll see yellow gold used alongside white gold in the setting, creating a classically retro look. Occasionally, you’ll also get contrasting gemstones, such as sapphire or emerald.
Find Your Ideal Vintage Wedding Jewelry
If you want to find the perfect vintage-inspired jewelry for your big day, simply explore the options at the Gold and Diamond Source today. You can shop online, or visit our store in Tampa Bay.
We love a good wedding proposal; and if you visit our Facebook page, you can see a number of grooms to be, down on one knee with their GDS rings in hand! However, as any man will tell you, there’s a lot more to the perfect proposal than simply asking the question and hoping for the best.
Here’s how to create the most magical proposal possible.
Top Tips to Proposing Perfectly
- Make it personal to her tastes. Does she love a certain song? Has she got a passion for a particular hobby? Where is her favorite place in the whole world? If possible, tailor your proposal so it reflects her unique, individual tastes.
- Suit her style. If she’s a nature-loving girl, then taking her for a walk along the beach then asking for her hand in marriage as the sun goes down would be truly magical. However, if she’s a lady that loves her luxury, consider hiring a limousine to take her somewhere special, and getting dressed up for the occasion.
- Keep it original. The more original your proposal, the better you’ll both remember it in later years. Remember, although it’s a serious, heartfelt moment, that doesn’t mean you can’t have fun with it.
- Get the perfect ring. Of course, when you pull out that ring, you want her eyes to widen in amazement! As a result, it’s important to find the perfect engagement ring. Think about her tastes. Does she love statement diamonds which grab attention? Or would she rather have a demure, pretty diamond band?
- Take her by surprise. Okay, so your bride-to-be might have some idea of what’s coming, but the more of a surprise you can make it, the more magical the moment will be. And make sure you have some champagne on standby to toast the occasion afterwards!
Finding the Ideal Engagement Ring
If you’re about to propose to your partner and want to find the perfect engagement ring, come and visit the Gold and Diamond Source today. We’ve got a huge range of engagement rings in store and online for you to choose from. Just promise that after your proposal, you send us a photo for us to put on our Facebook page!
There are few locations that can compete with a Florida beach when it comes to romance. In fact, it might just be the most inspiring setting there is; the steady rush of the tide, the endless stretches of sand, the deep blue sky, and let’s not forget the sunshine, which our state is famous for!
If you’re planning a beach wedding, there’s a lot of planning you need to do for the big day. However, it’s always important to remember that whilst booking your location, caterers and photographer is a big deal, the small details are just as important too.
Getting Your Jewelry Right for Your Wedding
You’ll be out there in the sunshine, and as a result, you’ll want to make sure that you’re sparkling in the natural light. The best way to achieve this is with diamonds. However, in this instance, it’s vital to select the right kind. Any diamond jewelry that is too formal won’t look right, as beach weddings tend to have a more relaxed, laid-back atmosphere.
Here’s some things for you to consider when making your choice:
- Keep it simple. Big statement pieces of diamond jewelry look amazing with evening gowns, but against a simple wedding dress, they can be too overpowering. Instead, choose a simple piece, which allows the natural luster of the diamond to do the talking.
- A hint of shine. Drop earrings can look great at a beach wedding, but generally, most brides choose simple diamond studs. They’re perfect for creating a hint of sparkle underneath your hair, and for drawing attention to your beautifully made-up face!
- A flash of color. Don’t be afraid to choose different colored gemstones. Although pure, clear diamonds will pick up the sunlight wonderfully, blue gemstones, such as sapphire, mirror the natural color of the sea.
Looking for Inspiration?
If you’re seeking the perfect jewelry for your big day, come and visit the Gold and Diamond Source today. We’ve got a huge range of beautiful diamonds and other jewelry for you to choose from.